I read the Pevear & Volokhonsky translation of Anna Karenina last year, so that was the best book I read, but these are five I liked a lot. The rule is I needed to finish it during the year:
- Namwali Serpell, The Old Drift
- Emily St. John Mandel, The Glass Hotel
- Ling Ma, Severance
- N.K. Jemisin, The City We Became
- William Gibson, Agency
In addition to these five records, special shoutouts to Arlo Park, who didn’t release a full-length record but was one of my favorite performers this year. (Very hyped for Collapsed in Sunbeams, which I’m looking forward to almost as much as The Hold Steady’s Open Door Policy.) Can’t believe Fiona Apple’s amazing record just missed this, as well as both of the Drive-By Truckers albums.
- Phoebe Bridgers, Punisher (by some distance my favorite record this year)
- Bartees Strange, Live Forever (with special affection for his EP of covers by The National)
- Fontaines D.C., A Hero’s Death
- Soccer Mommy, Color Theory
- Run the Jewels, RTJ4
A cheat, because we ended up not watching that many movies this year, or, at least, not that many that weren’t re-watches of franchise movies. ¯_(ツ)_/¯ * means we watched it with the 17yo. ** means I watched it while running.
- The Assistant
- Orphan Black, all seasons*
- The Expanse, seasons 1-4**
- The Mandalorian*
- Teenage Bounty Hunters*
Upon reflection, this is an ever-so-slightly nerdier list than I’d’ve expected, so I’m looking forward to mixing things up a bit this year.